Depending upon the severity of such a strain in the neck, a number of different avenues for treatment are available. For more severe cervical strains, which involve torn muscles or tendons, as well as any damage to the bones, surgery may be necessary. However, for the more common, moderate cervical strains treatment through medication may help. Some different medication options are:
- Acetaminophen, NSAIDs, & Other OTC Pain Medication – For more moderate cervical strains.
- Muscle Relaxers &PrescriptionPain Medication – For more severe cervical strains.
In addition to medication options, in order to better manage your symptoms, you might want to try things like:
- Heat – Helps to alleviate pain and stiffness, as well as muscle spasms.
- Neck Exercises – For some moderate neck pain, resistance work and certain movement exercises may help to alleviate pain and strengthen the neck.
- Physical Therapy – For more severe cervical strains, that may not require surgery, physical therapists can help you through a number of advances stretches and exercises to improve your neck’s strength and mobility.
No matter the severity of your cervical strain, it is important to get a proper medical diagnosis from a qualified medical professional like Dr. Varma. In certain, more severe instances, patients may require surgical treatment measures. For more information or to schedule an appointment for a consultation, contact Dr. Varma today.